Regardless how many products you add to your site, more often than not, your articles and info based content is most likely going to perform better in the search engines and get you ranked for keyword phrases if done properly.
Here are some basic website content writing tips to incorporate into your website content strategy.
- Write in posts – If you are using WordPress, write your content into posts rather than pages. Posts are much more SEO friendly and have many elements that work well for internal links such as showing tag links in the meta data. Also you can assign posts to multiple relevant categories which spreads out your content on the site and allows people to find it in different places related to their interests.
- Optimize each post for 3 long tailed keyword phrases – Write your posts with a maximum of three relevant long tailed keyword phrases in mind. Make sure to write the content interesting, well researched, useful and make sure to pepper the 3 keyword phrases throughout the content and make them appear naturally.
- Make the content tease the reader – Tell them the “what” but not the “how” perhaps. Or write your article about “20 awesome ways to …” and then only give them 10 and get them to enter their name and email for the full report.
- Do not copy directly from other sources online – Try to be as unique as possible. Google will know if you copied the content and will penalize you if you have duplicate content. You can gather information and statistics but it needs to be written in your own words.
- Refer to your products throughout without direct selling – You want to create value in your information, but should still point out where in your product or service they can get more information on the given subject of the post. Be suggestive instead of salesy.
Website Content Formatting
Formatting your content is very important also and should be punchy, easy to read and scan. Here are some tips on how to format your content to ensure maximum readability.
Every post NEEDS a headline. All headings should be written to entice / interest the reader. Headlines should be in a Heading 1 style.
- Sub-headings should summarize why the reader needs to know this content. Should be in a Heading 2 style.
- No paragraph should be longer than five lines. Which is usually the equivalent of 2-3 sentences max.
- When you change the subject within the content, re-engage with another Heading in H2 style. Describing what you are about to talk next. Large Fun Headline.
- Use bulleted and numbered lists as often as possible whenever you refer to more than 2 items in a paragraph.
- Bold words used in paragraphs that absolutely must be read. But do not overbold. Only one or two words per paragraph max. A huge percentage of your visitors will only scan over your content posts so allow them to get the gist of it by reading only the bold words that stick out.
Finally, make sure to include a call to action to your posts. It can be a list of relevant products, a form for them to fill out or even just have social media comments added to the bottom of your posts to encourage people to share.
In the MAS Global Internet Business Program, we cover copy writing extensively. Having someone help you create a content strategy and execute it properly is often the difference between a useless website in cyber space and a popular site with hundreds of thousands of visitors.